This Week’s Must-Read: Watch Out, Payday Lenders
The federal government proposed rules to regulate payday lenders and politicians call for an expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau proposed a new set of rules to regulate shorter-term loans that could dramatically shrink the industry and help borrowers suffering from spiraling debt.
- Sandy Levin (D-MI) and Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) call to expand the EITC.
- Authors argue for a higher income threshold and inclusion of self-employment income for California’s EITC.
- Harold M. Metts (D-RI) is sponsoring legislation to expand Rhode Island’s refundable EITC to 30 percent of the federal credit.
- The Huffington Post gives insight into tax planning strategies surrounding higher education and graduation.
Recent Blog Posts
Partnerships are essential for outreach and for fundraising. Find out how to create mutually beneficial partnerships with banks that can lead to tax site and event sponsorships, volunteers, and more.
Leaving an abusive partner can be a difficult decision, especially when exacerbated by financial insecurity and economic hardship. Fortunately, survivors of domestic violence can safely file their taxes and take…