Six Ways You Celebrated EITC Awareness Day
By Jayanthi Ragubathi, 2016 Get It Back Campaign Intern
January 27 was the 11th Anniversary of EITC Awareness Day. Get It Back partners celebrated by posting blogs, holding events, and releasing videos highlighting the benefits of the EITC.
1. United Way of Southern Nevada hosted a tax season kick-off and posted this video promoting free tax assistance preparation.
2. Lakota Funds and Lakota Federal Credit Union brought together VITA certified tax preparers to file returns at the Oglala Lakota College Center in Pine Ridge, South Dakota. They provided pizza and an opportunity to win prizes while filers waited.
3. United Way of Pasco County in Florida invited Commissioner Mikes Wells, dignitaries, and members of their community to help them celebrate EITC Awareness Day.
4. To express the importance of the EITC, United Way of Southern Cameron County in Texas told Jesse and Juana’s touching story. The couple used their EITC refund to move out of their car and into a home.
5. The IRS held its second “Thunderclap Media Social Campaign” encouraging individuals and organizations to spread awareness. The campaign gained 543 supporters, far exceeding their goal of 100 and reached 926,358 people.
6. The Berkeley and Dorchester Prosperity Centers, in partnership with Trident United Way, held an EITC Awareness kick-off event in South Carolina with free food, prizes, and tax counselors.
Recent Blog Posts
Federal Rental Assistance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) helps about 2 million working-age, low-income non-disabled families pay for housing. Households typically pay no more than…
Tax Day is the perfect time to celebrate the work of the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide programs. Both programs provide…