Do I Qualify for a Stimulus Check?

If you meet the following four requirements, you likely qualify for the stimulus.

1. Income Limits: If you are filing as single with an adjusted gross income (AGI) up to $75,000, married filing jointly with an AGI up to $150,000, or head of household with an AGI up to $112,500, you will receive the full payment. Above these income limits, the payment amount decreases 5 percent for every additional $100 of income up to $99,000 for a single adult, $136,500 for head of household, and $198,00 for a married couple.

If you have zero income you can still get the payment.

2. Dependency: You cannot be claimed as someone else’s dependent on a tax return. There is no age requirement for the stimulus check. Children must be under 17 to get the additional payment for them.

3. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN): You must have a valid Social Security Number in order to receive a check. If you are married filing jointly, both spouses must have Social Security Numbers (one for military). Children can have a Social Security Number or an Adoption Identification Number (ATIN). If a child has an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you won’t get the additional payment for them, but you can still get the main payment. To learn more about the stimulus and ITINs, see: Are immigrants eligible for the stimulus check?

4. Citizenship or Residency: You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or qualifying resident alien. 

Will I get an Economic Impact Payment for my child?

You will receive an additional $500 per qualifying child. A qualifying child must be related to you (by blood, marriage, or adoption), under the age of 17, live with you for over half the year, have a Social Security number, and be claimed as your dependent. These are the same qualifying rules as for the Child Tax Credit.

Can I get an Economic Impact Payment if I am incarcerated?

Yes, you are eligible if you meet all other requirements. Read about how you can get your stimulus check if you are incarcerated.

What if I owe child support payments, owe back taxes, or student loan debt?

If you are overdue on child support, you could see your stimulus check reduced or eliminated based on the amount you owe. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if this happens.

Your payment will not be interrupted if you owe back taxes or have student loan debt; you will receive the full amount.

If you use direct deposit and owe your bank overdraft fees, the bank may deduct these from your payment.


Read through What to know about the Stimulus Checks for a comprehensive guide to getting stimulus checks.

Recommended for you

The latest